Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Praise be to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ" Ephesians 1:3


I've had a specific goal since I was seven years old. A childhood dream that never went away. I've been working toward this goal ever since, patiently waiting for the day when it would become a reality. A career in marine mammal training is one of the most competitive jobs out there, but I didn't care. It was the career that I wanted, that I felt God had called me too. I would stop at nothing to make it happen.

I declared psychology as my major at the University of Central Florida. I worked my butt off in school and achieved a 4.0 GPA. My junior year, I got an internship with SeaWorld. Nothing special, I just lifeguarded at the new water park, Aquatica and took leadership classes. I worked hard and made sure I was noticed by management.

Just about a year later, I got a call saying that I had been accepted for an animal training internship at SeaWorld, all I had to do was successfully complete the SeaWorld swim test. 5 minute water tread, 220ft free style swim, 110 ft underwater swim, 24ft surface dive, platform dive, and script reading. I had never been more terrified in my life. I was not prepared! They only gave me a week to practice. I did the best I could, and I felt like I did a great job. After I showered and dressed for my interview, I was told that I didn't qualify. I didn't do well enough, I wasn't going to get an interview. I cried my heart out, but I wasn't giving up. I became an intern in Education instead.

That internship started a 2 year long career in Education at SeaWorld. I have met the most amazing people, swam with beluga whales and sharks, cared for penguins, and most importantly I've grown a lot. I've discovered my faults and what I'm truly good at. My communication skills have greatly improved, my understanding and love for a career with animals has grown, I'm ready.

The August after I started in Education, I was offered a swim test at Discovery Cove. SeaWorld's reservation only "swim with the dolphins" park. I passed and was granted an interview. I killed it in the interview. I felt like I did great. 2 weeks later I got a call saying I did not get the job. Rejected again. That February (a year after I had taken the SeaWorld test) I was granted another SeaWorld swim test. This time I was better prepared. I felt like I did great considering how tough that swim test was. Guess what they told me? Rejected. For the third time. I left disheartened, wondering if this career really was God's plan for me.

This past summer I applied for animal training again at Discovery Cove. This time, I wasn't even offered a swim test. Rejected yet again. I began to think, if they didn't even offer me a swim test, maybe they've decided they don't want me at all. It sucked.

I still didn't give up. What is ever gained without perseverance right? 2 months ago I applied yet again at Discovery Cove. This time I got a swim test, I passed with flying colors, I swam better than I ever swam. The interview was...ehh..I wasn't too pleased with my performance. A week later I got a call from HR. It was so soon I assumed I got the job, but I was rejected yet again. At this point I'm wondering when I should just stop trying. I had applied for animal training or related jobs 7 times and had always been rejected. How long was I going to keep this up?

Today I got another call from HR. I was set up for another interview tomorrow for a night watch job at Shamu stadium so I figured that's what it was about. The HR rep says, "Hi Kelli, remember when you swim tested and interviewed for the Associate Trainer position at Discovery Cove?" "Yes...." "and remember how you didn't get the job?" "Yes......." "Well, they have recently opened more positions, you did great in your swim test and interview, we'd like to hire you as a trainer. Are you still interested?" "YES" "Are you sure?" "Yes, yes I'm sure!" "This means you won't be considered for night watch, are you okay with that?" "OF COURSE ARE YOU CRAZY?!" lol okay I didn't say that. But you get the point.

I've spent countless hours at the pool working out. I've spent hundreds of dollars SCUBA certification, equipment, gym memberships. I've spent hours in front of my computer preparing cover letters and resumes, studying for interviews, doing everything I can to present myself in the best possible way so that I would get this job. I've spent years preparing and waiting for this to happen.

I'm a dolphin trainer. I've achieved my goal. It's happening. Holy crap.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had to get that out ;)

To GOD be the glory. He has made me who I am and it is only because of Him that I've been given this opportunity. "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." It has taken a long time for God to give me this desire of my heart, and I have not always been the best at delighting in Him. It's been a long, hard road. But God has finally blessed me with something I wanted for a long, looong time. I could not be more thankful.

Thank you also to my amazing family, friends, and boyfriend for being so supportive. Giving me a shoulder to cry on, encouraging me to continue chasing after my goals. The hard work has finally paid off. (I feel like this is an award acceptance speech)

I can't believe it finally happened. Now it's party time!!!!


**The picture above is me and Hutch, a dolphin I met when I went to DC 5 and half years ago. Hoping I get to work with him now (there are over 40 dolphins at DC so I may not get to meet Hutch right away :P)


4 comments:

  1. You rock Kelli! Way to keep following your dream until it happens and for being so faithful. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy smokes, this is big news!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Why I didn't see this before... I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently decided to go back to my first career choice, which is to be a dolphin trainer at Seaworld, and I foud your blog so inspiring! I am definitely going to take your theme of perseverance and apply it to my life. If God has a will then He ALWAYS has a way! Your post is so fantastic and I'm so excited for you!!

    Oh, and my name is Kelli with an "i" too! I don't know many, so I was pretty excited when I saw that you spelled your name the same way as me! It's the little things in life...

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete